Posted on July 15, 2011 by smblackford
Here at the PLF we are fond of checklists as a tool for loss prevention. Busy lawyers and their staff will find lots of checklists among the 41 different categories of practice aids and forms. http://www.osbpf.org.
Here is an important checklist you may not have written down.
1. Check that your cell phone – especially Smart Phone– has a password to access it and use it.
2. Check that you have a remote device tracking and data-wipe application installed for your phone and your laptop.
3. Check that your laptop has a secure WiFi if using public WiFi spots.
4. Check that your password is a “strong” password and change it often and different variations for different locations.
5. Check that your cell phone is still on your hip, that your laptop is safely in its bag in your immediate control, and that all those gizmo and gadgets are all tucked away safely where you want them to be.”
Client confidentiality is helped with a checklist for the security of your electronic gizmos and gadgets.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: Security | Leave a Comment »
Posted on December 1, 2010 by smblackford
December 1st. The first day of the last month in the year, 2010. Some lawyers are wondering if they should continue trying to launch their new law firm. It is important to realize that it is hard work running your own law firm.
Conventional wisdom is it takes three years to successfully launch a new business. Three years can be a scary long time when the clients aren’t coming to you fast enough. How can you stay the course?
Consider doing some contract lawyering or contract paralegal work in addition to working on your own client matters. The PLF has some helpful materials under “Contract Lawyering” in their Practice Aids and Forms category online at http://www.osbplf.org and there is a helpful CLE titled “Practical Contract Lawyering” that gives you a total of 4.0 MCLE credits – .75 general, 2.5 general or practical skills, and .75 ethics. Helpful, free… what could be better than this? Call the PLF and ask to speak to one of us practice management advisors! 503-639-6911 or toll free in Oregon at 1-800-452-1639 and ask for me, Dee, Beverly. We’re here to help you stay the course.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »